The State Advisor for North Carolina will be MVP’s main liaison with local groups, and also sometimes with national partners, intermediaries and donors seeking to support work in the state. State Advisors have multiple roles: assessing the organizing, donor and political landscape in the state; advocating to bring needed resources into the state to build sustainable organizations, strong leadership, and long-term progressive electoral and legislative power; and in some cases, where appropriate, supporting groups with other needs that arise. We are also working with State Advisors in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Arizona, Michigan and Florida.
- Maintain relationships with existing local groups and donor networks that fall into MVP’s group and donor profiles.
- Work with local groups to get reports on their 2019 work and results (if we don’t already have).
- Work with local groups to get their 2019-2020 plans and/or help them write their 2019-2020 plans and budgets, if necessary. This may include helping them expand their plans – aka, help groups dream big! (help them create both baseline and expansion plans and budget scenarios)
- Draft and update memos for MVP on recommendations for what needs to happen in the state(s), both immediately (next 3 months) and longer-term (2020 and beyond) to build progressive power through grassroots organizing. This would include assessments of staffing and capacity needs, the potential for upgrades, opportunities, challenges and gaps both within and between organizations, best practices to share, etc.
- Draft aggregated c3 and c4 state plans that makes the case for where, when, and how much to invest for success in 2020 and beyond.
- Develop relationships and plans with local and national funders to support the 2-year state plans.
- Liaise with all relevant stakeholders as appropriate: National and local funders, organizing networks, intermediaries, influencers. etc.
- Support state alignment of partners which may include facilitation, shared planning, mediating differences, breaking up fights, buying people ice cream, etc.
- Work closely with other State Advisors on supporting and incubating new talent – and helping all the parts work together collaboratively.
- Participate in grantmaking; work with grantmaking team to decide, administer, and track grants in your states.
- Update and maintain internal tracking spreadsheets and reporting documents; keep all MVP data tracking systems updated and ensure that all organizational recommendations are up to date.
- Participate in weekly and monthly check-ins with internal MVP departments and team members.
- Help to capture, write-up and share key stories from local organizations, campaigns, and individuals involved.
Compensation: Based on experience. We envision a full time version of this role in the $70,000 – $80,000 range, plus benefits. But we are open to exploring various other arrangements, including part-time or a consulting relationship for the right person.
Location: North Carolina , with travel throughout the state.
Report to: Director of State & Local Partnerships
To apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected].