Student Power Network and Vote Mob, two groups working to mobilize students to vote and build power among young people, seek a full-time Pennsylvania Vote Mob Coordinator to lead the development of our Pennsylvania Vote Mob, using the Online 2 Offline Organizing Model, support the work of student organizers, and use social media and digital tools as the pathway to organizing. The key geography of this program is in State College, PA.
Our work is grounded in the belief that young people, who now represent 33 percent of the U.S. electorate, can transform their communities both through elections and by turning adrenaline-filled election moments into lasting movements for justice. SPN and Vote Mob are both projects of Movement Voter Project.
The ideal candidate will be committed to centering the leadership of young people and excited to motivate youth voters to win elections and build our collective power.
The Online 2 Offline model is just what it sounds like. Not just “online organizing,” but rather a pathway that begins “online” but leads potential activists towards “offline” collective action and community building. The model was created by United 4 Respect, a retail worker organization that has run successful direct actions and strikes with worker leaders who connected in online spaces. The O2O model gives the entire left-wing, and especially the youth movement, the option to build large bases that will organize through this pandemic moment. O2O is also perfect for a network like Vote Mob — it can be disciplined and deliberate, or provide a toolkit for how to most effectively take advantage of off-the-cuff last minute election adrenaline. Our goal is to implement this model in our core states, and connect with other organizations interested in using this model.
The Pennsylvania Vote Mob Coordinator will:
The Pennsylvania Vote Mob Coordinator will work to build a strong youth and college student network to educate young voters on issues and policies by which they are directly impacted, develop student leaders (fellows and volunteers) to organize an engaged base, and lead a robust civic engagement plan to turn out the youth vote in State College, Pennsylvania from the period September 2020 to December 2020. The work plan will include:
Build your own Vote Mob team (40%)
- Supervising a small cohort of organizing fellows (3-4) and volunteer leaders
- Hire, onboard, and develop work plans of individuals, and fire when appropriate.
- Communicate to supervisor regarding pay, HR, legal compliance, and other operational needs.
- Build or support strong organizing hubs on key campuses.
Campaign Management (40%)
- Develop a robust civic engagement plan to mobilize all eligible youth voters in State College, PA by registering young people to vote, request their absentee ballot, and vote.
- Use digital organizing tools to develop deep relationships with young people and support their leadership development. Organizing tools include (but not limited to):
- Group trainings and One-to-One’s
- Relational Vote parties and Digital turnout tools like Ballot Ready, Hustle and Empower
- Class raps / Club raps (students recruiting classmates to vote and volunteer, or doing recruitment and pledge card collection at meetings)
- Creative voter education materials (voter guides, swag, petitions, surveys, IG posts).
- Embed voter protection measures to ensure voter safety in every method of voting.
Participate in our national and local organizing networks (20%)
- Join weekly network calls with young organizers from across the country
- Participate in national slack and encourage participation of fellows and leaders
- Build relationships and be additive to the existing local organizing structure of State College
- Debrief with local teams post-election and help figure out next steps
We are looking for someone with:
- A passion for building youth political power;
- Is a compassionate and direct delegator;
- Has experience facilitating meetings, trainings, and events that move people to action;
- Has canvassing, voter registration, or sales experience;
- Has held a manager position before
We would prefer someone who:
- Is clearly committed to collective liberation and intersectional organizing;
- Is passionate about using elections to support progressive movements ;
- Is accountable, proactive, communicative, and responsive;
- Has youth or student organizing experience;
- Has used Hustle, Empower, Action Network, NGPVAN, and other organizing tools
Tools we use at SPN-Vote Mob:
Google Suite (docs, sheets, gmail, drive), Facebook, Slack, Action Network, Airtable, Zoom, EveryAction, Hustle, Canva (Adobe can be made available if preferred).
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a temporary remote full-time position with a salary range of $50,000 – $58,000, guaranteed through 12/31/2020. We offer full health benefits and a monthly wellness stipend ($100/month). Due to COVID-19 safety requirements, we will not be requiring any travel for this position.
How to apply:
Please submit your application (cover letter or video cover letter and resume) to [email protected]. We will also be accepting applications in other accessible application formats including: Google Forms, large print, video or audio file. To obtain and complete the application in alternative formats, please contact the hiring manager at [email protected]. We are looking to hire ASAP and will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.